2006-01-06

Resolutions - Do you have one for the new year?

Each year people seem to evaluate their lives and decide to make some changes (why we wait until January 1st to make these changes, I don't know). Ever since baby girl was born last year, I've really tried to get my 25 year old body back. I knew it was truly not realistic to get to that same shape but my mission was to at least try. That meant exercising more and eating more healthy food.

I love to exercise so that wasn't the problem. The obstacle here was having the energy to juggle the kids in and out of the car in order to go to the gym, or finding that perfect park that included a lengthy jog path AND a cool playground.

As for healthy eating, well that isn't too much of a struggle either. I'm not and never have been a junk food junkie. Don't get me wrong, I love fast food and I LOVE pizza but I've never been one to have either of those more than once every two or three weeks. The challenge here was relying on fast alternatives to healthy food such as canned veggies, fozen dinners, boxed mix dinners, etc. With four people in our house hold that eat totally different stuff for each and every meal, it was just easy to rely on the easy stuff but I long to cook fresh veggies, add more variety to Little JB's menu, and get the man of the house to eat more veggies (I think I'm dreaming there....).

So, my resolutions for the new year are really just to add some energy to what I've already been doing. So here are the details:

- move and groove at least four times a week without fail - no excuses!! We found a great park that connects to several other parks that will allow me to get in the walk/jog and allow the kids to play hard too!!!

- transition from enriched flour products to multi-grain products

- discontinue to use canned veggies on a regular basis - which means retraining Little JB's taste buds to like the good stuff. He loves veggies so I'm hoping this won't be too much of a problem. As for fruit, we already eat a lot of fresh fruits so we're good there! =)

- add more legumes into our diet, Little JB needs to also learn to like these and I need to learn, and not be afraid to make, new dishes.

- a personal goal for me is to go vegetarian again (except for fish/sea food). I was at my best health when I was a vegetarian and I remember having fun finding new things to cook to meet all my nutritional needs. Little JB really doesn't like real meat so he may also be a veg with me. We'll see...

I think that is it.

As for when this is all this going to take place....my goal is to have us all transitioned by the time Little LB is on table food or turns one year old. So we have four months to get it all done.

* Month One - more multi-grain products and cut down on red meat and learn three new legume dishes

* Month Two and Three - fresh veggies transition for the family and cut out all read meat and cut down on poultry / pork.

* Month Four - cut out poultry / pork.

Looks pretty easy, doesn't it? Well, we'll keep you all posted!!!

No comments: