2008-03-28

Hello, my friend, hello....

Okay, so I watched a movie tonight, which is not necessarily "news". It's the movie I watched thats the topic of this blog. A movie that reminds me of my childhood. No, it's not Star Wars, E.T., Grease, Gremlins, Rocky, American Graffiti, or Superman. It was The Jazz Singer of 1980 with Neil Diamond . While I'll admit that I only watched it tonight because I'm missing my Texas family like you can not believe, it is also a movie that makes all the good feelings of childhood come rushing back to me. My eyes had tears and my stomach had butterflies the entire 90 minutes.

My mother, now known as Nonna, watched this movie every time it came on the cable TV (yes, we had cable back then). We watched it so many times that it was like she would look through the weekly TV Guide and make sure that the channel was tuned in just in time for the opening credits and would be glued until the closing credits and song were through. Needless to say, my sisters and I knew every word to every song and every line of the movie script. Now, if a Neil Diamond, aka Jess Robin, comes on the radio, we habitually sing along, mindlessly. (She's going to hate me for this....but....Auntie Meme's first concert was Neil Diamond (evil smile) - mine was Tears for Fears).

But deep down, the movie and the songs are dear to our hearts....because they are dear to Nonna's heart. If you haven't seen it, rent it! It's about following your dreams, music, family, and staying true to who you are.

This isn't the only movie that can provoke these feelings. There are others that Grandpa M loved that touched us too. They just weren't on tonight. (I love you Dad!)

I hope that when my kids are old and grey (like me) they can say they remember a few movies that touched their parents' heart like this one and then can say that the movie also touched their heart too later in life.

Some of my favorite ND songs:
Coming to America
Hello Again
Cracklin' Rose
Red Red Wine (
also a UB40 hit)
You Don't Bring Me Flowers (probably the best ever!!)
Sweet Carloine
Song Sung Blue


Pop the pop-corn, watch the movie and enjoy it!!

No comments: