Each night I read a few chapters of a children's book series to our boy before bedtime. Then I talk to him about how his day was and what we are going to do tomorrow. He really enjoys this routine and last night I left his room full of pride and with tears in my eyes. Here's why....
When we got to the part of talking about tomorrow, I told him that he and I would be going to get some special "stuff" for his sisters birthday. We then went through the "grocery list" and then he said this, "And I need to pick out something special from my room."
I was a little confused so asked what he meant. He clarified by saying he wanted to give his sister a present from his room.
I replied, "Honey you don't have to give your toys away but sharing is nice." (By the way, he is used to giving (donating) his toys to charity when he has outgrown them.)
He then said, "No I want to pick out one of my special cars for her."
When I realized how determined he was, I also realized how special what he wanted to do for her was.
He was giving his sister (who is his best friend and playmate) one of his prized possessions....a car from his collection. So, I told him we would pick out that special toy together in the morning.
So, after what seemed to be a long week of the kids playing nice one minute and fighting the next, came a finish to the week with an unselfish gesture from a child of five. Last night, the traditional final kiss on the nose and the hug were extra big.
This isn't the first glimpse of gentleness and unselfishness we have witnessed from our children to each other. Don't get me wrong, they are definitely big rivals but they are each other's protectors and spoke persons and caretakers. They are amazing together, simply amazing
We are so blessed!!
No comments:
Post a Comment