2008-04-09

Girls and Their Dollies

When we found out that our second baby would be a girl I was completely thrilled (so was her Daddy). All I could imagined was being surrounded by pretty dresses, tea parties, and lots of dolls. I couldn't wait to buy LB her first dolly. I searched and searched for the perfect fabric doll so that the baby could cuddle as mush as she wanted without fear of getting scratched by a plastic doll. So "Baby Eden" joined our family. However, it was with great disappointment that I quickly realized that our little girl would much rather throw a ball than play with a doll (even at eight months old)!

So this "non-connection" with dolls. and even cute stuffed animals, went on until this past Christmas. I thought I would try one more time. I'd noticed her playing with dolls at other people's houses, like the pretty dolls at Nana's house, so I knew she had some little-girl-maternal-instinct in her. So this past Christmas, I did the same search...the search for a sweet baby that she would love. And it worked. It took a little time for her to warm up to her but now our baby girl has a best friend named "Baby Sarah" and they do everything together. Here, they are eating breakfast together....


In January, her Daddy took her to American Girl in Beverly Hills (going into that shop was really for me! Although I was never into playing with dolls I still had them and enjoyed dressing them up with the clothes my mother would hand make!). Anyway, she walked out of the store that day with a new baby - a Bitty Baby. We named her "Baby Laney". Now "Baby Laney" and "Baby Sarah" are best friends with our little baby girl.

LB has other babies that she plays with - "Baby Madeline" and "Baby Minnie" also top her list of bed buddies.

Anyway, LB still loves to throw the ball, play in the sandbox, and chase after her big brother but she'd like to do all of that in a sun dress with "Baby Sarah" in tow.

I also see a parental side of JB2. He has many stuffed animals (mostly puppies) that he takes care of and that keep him company at night.

What wonderful children God has blessed us with!!!

1 comment:

Susanna said...

Hi! Very cute! My mom said I didn't start playing with dolls until my sister was born and I started to imitate what I saw her doing with the baby. Thinking about another one? Ha, ha!