Daily routines are complete and I take a deep breath and climb into bed....
But something urges me to take one more peek at my sweet babies. So I pick myself up and climb the stairs...I peek in...
The boy is leaning back on his propped up pillows, knees bent holding up a classic edition of "Calvin and Hobbes" which is falling apart at the spine, his eyes are half open....ready to call it a night. He sees me, opens his eyes wide and says, in a sleepy voice, "Mommy, is everything okay?" (he's 8 but still calls me "Mommy" - I LOVE THAT). I say, "just checking on my beauties!" He has no idea how beautiful he is to me.....I run my fingers through his thick head of golden red hair and kiss his forehead, click off the light and turn to go on to the next room...before leaving his side, I turn around and see that he has completely closed his eyes, pulled the covers up to his chin and snuggled into his pillow...my Dreamy Boy has drifted off to dreamland.....I spend an extra long second and say a quiet thank you to God for giving me such a wonderful child!
The room across the hall houses the Boy's younger sister. Typically I would find something different than what I see tonight. I would expect to see Sweet Girl with a pile of hidden colored pencils, a stack of stickers, and a sketch pad. The sketch pad would be propped up on her bent knees, like the Boy's "Calvin and Hobbes", and the pencil would be working away at making a masterpiece that she would present to me in the morning. Her masterpiece would consist of colorful hearts, detailed drawings of girls and boys (big and little), a house or two, flowers and rainbows. Maybe even some sugar and spice! But not tonight....tonight I find her breathing heavy and in a deep sleep. I push the fine blonde hair. which has fallen over her face, back behind her ear and whisper, "I love my Sleeping Beauty!" I know she hears me, because she squirms a little and then burrows her head deeper into the stuffed friends she brought along for company. Once again, I say a quiet prayer thanking the Lord for blessing us once more.
My last stop is back to my own bed. What I see there is beyond my own imagination....a third and equally as wonderful beauty. Baby is only 4 months old but sometimes seems like we've been a part of each other's lives for eternity, I can't remember a time without her...and other times it doesn't seem to be real at all. She is like that dream come true that takes you forever to believe has come true. When I look at her, I think she has red hair but it looks blonde sometimes. Now she has her arms resting over her head and she has fallen into a slow and steady breathing pattern....even with her eyes closed she looks brilliant. Just then, she takes a deep breath and sighs that baby sigh that makes you feel warm all over.....makes you wonder how there could be any evil in the world. She has completed life for us, made a whole family. God graced us with another sweet angel, I never knew life could be so beautiful until we made our family complete.....
Without the great guy at my side, none of this beauty would have been created. He is the most beautiful.....Incredible!
No comments:
Post a Comment